Friday 12 January 2007

Day 1

Well, I guess this is Day 1!

Yesterday - well, last night - I went and did our food shopping. I spent about a hundred bucks (Aussie dollars), and bought as healthy as I could while also maintaining enough variety to stop me getting bored with the selection and wandering over to the local 7-11 (which, painfully, is right next door).

  • Two types of lettuce (cos and iceberg),
  • 2 types of salad dressing (balsamic vinegar and light french),
  • tomatoes,
  • capsicum,
  • apples,
  • Vita-Brit crispbread
  • 3 packets of light rice cakes
  • Vegemite, yay! I love this stuff
  • stuffed olives - stoked to discover these are very low in Kj hahah.
  • wholewheat bread, which I luckily love. Quite high in Kj though, I had no idea!
  • 1 box of tropical fruit and oat cereal
  • 1 box of apple and oat cereal

Can't remember what else, but basically it's all pretty good. I mean, a few things there aren't perfect, but I think it's important to not be too hardcore about it. I think that'd be too hard to maintain, so I'm trying to include some things that - while still pretty healthy - also add a bit of the greedy pleasure to the diet without being too hardcore.

So, today!

Today we had some Nutri-Grain for breakfast, with light milk (well, soy milk for Fiona, she's lactose intolerant), and a couple of hours later we went for a jog at a local grass-based athletics track. We want to do it every morning, before work, and I think we can do it. We'll have to manage our sleep better - I have a tendency to sit up drawing or chatting online until around 12am-1am. That's gonna have to stop!

We walked one brisk lap around the track, and then broke into a slow-medium and even jog. We did this for half a lap, and then walked briskly for another half. We continued this for only another 4 or 5 laps, which I guess shows that we've got a long way to go! In my defence, I did have a motorbike accident a couple of months ago that caused some bad rib bruising on my back, and some muscle soreness in my left knee which is still present, but - thankfully - slowly fading. It didn't bother me too much during the jogging though, so that's great.

And that's pretty much all we did! I want to expand on it a little, with some pushups and situps and squats and so forth, but we might give it a month before we start including that. I know we'd probably be better off doing it now, but hey... little steps!

Some stats:

Van: My current weight is about 102-105kg I believe, but I'll have to confirm. I'm 5'10"

MEASUREMENTS!

Mike:

waist - 118cm
hips - 105cm
chest - 120cm
arm - 39cm
thigh - 67cm
neck - 44cm

No comments: