Tuesday 1 May 2007

The "Couch to 5km" Method.


Man, this is harder than I thought it would be. The "Couch to 5km" article over at CoolRunning.com describes the Week 1 routine as follows: "Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes." Sounds simple enough, right? Well yeah, it does. I agree.

So why was it so damn hard!

I think that the hardest part for me was waiting for the timer to get to 0 seconds. I used my phone as a timer, with a countdown from 60 to 0, and simply clutched it in my hand as I jogged. When it vibrated, I'd know I could stop running and start walking for 60/90 seconds. The problem was that because I was letting my phone do the counting, and not myself, I was so desperately anticipating the 0-second mark that I'd find myself almost yelling in frustration: "Come on, it has to have been 60 seconds by now!!".

After the first 3 reps of this, I ended up stopping each time at an average of 50 seconds elapsed. For some reason I just couldn't manage the final 10 seconds. On the last one, I made it to 55 seconds elapsed. Wow! Haha. Note the sarcasm.

As Fi pointed out when I sent her an email at work full of my sob story; "Tomorrow is another day, and you'll know what's ahead of you this time". She's a clever girly that one.

So, tomorrow's another day!

1 comment:

Ruune said...

I had the same problem with the C25K that it got me really focussed on the time. For me the solution, at least until I could get my mind off my friggin watch, was to get a cheap radio that I could listen to. That distracted me enough to get through the obsession phase.